[Xymon] How to monitor web services

Information desk docuprompt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:26:31 CET 2012

On 4/01/12 2:37 AM, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 January 2012 14:59:07 Information desk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been reading about xymonnet.conf, hosts.conf, etc. but so far
>> cannot get my xymon 4.2.3 to monitor URLs other than hosts on port 80.
> What are you currently trying, what have you tried that does not work?
>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to monitor:
>>
>> - Pages requiring http authentication
> Covered in hosts.cfg(5)
>
>> - Monitoring host aliases (other than by putting another entry in the
>> hosts.conf duplicating an already monitored host)
> Covered in hosts.cfg(5) I believe.
>
>> - Monitoring SSL services
> Covered in hosts.cfg(5) I believe.
>

>> I can get hosts.conf to monitor port http servers by explicitly adding
>> an http column to the row of headers- is that all one can use?
> No. Did you read the 'HTTP Tests' section of the documentation for hosts.cfg?
>
> http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAR
>
>> Maybe I
>> need to set up xymonnet? Is there any info around on doing this (I can
>> really only find the man page).  Perhaps it needs a guide on how to
>> begin implementing it if I can't find it (?)
> The man page isn't very difficult to read, have you tried?
>
> If you don't come right, please provide a bit more detail on what you have
> tried, and what the result (error message, invalid testing etc.) is.
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

Woot! Thanks Buchan for clearing this up!  So far I've been reading the
sonfig guide and old perhaps versions of the documentation and web
snippets that were faaaaaar less descriptive. Last time I read the
hosts.cfg man page I got caught up on the CRITICAL SYSTEMS OVERVIEW
section and simply didn't make it down to the http tests (doh!)- which
makes perfect sense.

Also discovered the example files on the main site which are a really
great help. Thanks again- this is just what I needed.