[Xymon] Ghost client problems

Jamison Maxwell jamison at newasterisk.com
Wed Feb 29 01:39:30 CET 2012

>> I'd seriously suggest using a prebuilt RPM (search the archives for this/last month, there are a few posts), it puts various config files in /etc that are easier to diagnose configuration issues with than hand compiled installs.

I’d suggest the opposite.  When you compile the client it specifically asks you where the Xymon server is running.  All of the configuration files are placed in /home/xymon/client, all right there easy to configure, thus I don’t see why using pre-built RPMs is easier because the ones that I have tried have a tendency to scatter them, IMO.  Either way you go, find one way to do it in you environment and stick to it.

If the server is not displaying, or has purple ‘alerts’ in place of disk, memory, etc., then the server is not receiving the data from your client.  The only three possible reasons that I can see is that the a. the client cannot reach the server for either DNS (if hostname was used) or network related problems, b. the client is pointed at the wrong server or no server, c. there is a firewall on the server that is not allowing the connection attempt.

I would suggest disabling iptables to troubleshoot and ensure that the latter is not the issue, to make sure you instantaneously know whether or not you are receiving data, do a packet capture with ‘tcpdump dst port 1984’.  If you get packets from the client, then the firewall is the problem, if you don’t you have to keep going.  Ensure that the correct system is specified in the first line of /home/Xymon/client/etc/xymonclient.cfg.  It should read “XYMSRV="YOUR SERVER’S IP OR HOSTNAME"          # IP address of the Xymon server”.  If you specified the hostname, add it to /etc/hosts and see if that remediates.

Seriously though, these are all basic troubleshooting steps and anything that is above that is found in the man pages on the Xymon server.  Please, do this list a favor and read them, alternatively, you can contact me directly and I’ll set it up for you provided you pay my consulting fee. ; )

--Jamison Maxwell