[Xymon] multiple alerts for single process

john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com
Mon Feb 13 15:06:01 CET 2012

Has anyone been successful at something like this?

I am monitoring a process where there should be at least 1 running but no more than 1.  These processes are running on a windows server (BBWin 0.12) and reporting back to my Xymon server (4.3.0) on Ubuntu (10.04).

Easy (analysis.cfg):
HOST=reallycoolserver
        PROC galaxy_hitch_guide.exe 1 1 red

Ok, so on occasion some special people will run an additional process manually and this happens often and is acceptable.  So, I would like the alert above to have an initial duration of say 240 prior to alerting.

Easy (alerts.cfg):
HOST=reallycoolserver
   MAIL me at here.com DURATION>240 REPEAT=30 FORMAT=TEXT
STOP

So, this seems all well and good except in 2 other cases:

-       If another monitored process on reallycoolserver fails, it will also be delayed 240 minutes.

-       If an unacceptable condition with coolthing.exe such as 20 of them running.

So, I thought that GROUPS would be the way to go:

Analysis.cfg:
HOST=reallycoolserver
        PROC galaxy_hitch_guide.exe 1 20 red GROUP=fish

HOST=reallycoolserver
        PROC galaxy_hitch_guide.exe 1 1 red GROUP=pints

Alerts.cfg:
HOST=reallycoolserver GROUP=fish
   MAIL me at here.com DURATION>5 REPEAT=10 FORMAT=TEXT GROUP=fish
STOP

HOST=reallycoolserver GROUP=pints
   MAIL me at here.com DURATION>240 REPEAT=10 FORMAT=TEXT GROUP=pints
STOP

I have tried to arrange these in a variety of ways:

-       A single HOST entry in analysis.cfg with the same proc defined twice as above.  The color will change correctly but the alerts do not behave right.

-       A group only entry in alerts.cfg

-       Using EXGROUP following the HOST entry to exclude one of the groups

-       Using EXGROUP following the MAIL entry to exclude one of the groups

Any ideas?
Thanks,
John
John Rothlisberger
IT Strategy, Infrastructure & Security - Technology Growth Platform
TGP for Business Process Outsourcing
Accenture
312.693.3136 office

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.