[Xymon] Xymon security concern raised

Sean MacGuire sean at maclawran.ca
Sat Dec 8 08:13:46 CET 2012

Oddly enough, since writing BB in 1995, I've never seen this exploited.

I also don't think it could cause you to drop tests (or rrd data for
that matter).

I think the worst thing that could be done is to just put a
machine in 'maintenance mode' and then exploit it using a
rootkit or something which might essentially "turn off the
alarm".

To combat this I implemented a new BB message, bbcrypto - which
used a system of shared secrets on clients and servers - for Henrik
or anyone else that wants to code it, here's how it works:

1. If a "secret file" exists on the client for the server, then
    encrypt the file using the secret (in the file) via blowfish,
    then wrap it with the 'bbcrypto' keyword.

2. On the server side, if you see a 'bbcrypto' message, use the
    shared secret in the 'secret file' to decrypt the message, once
    decrypted, process it like a normal BB/Xymon message.

Just so people don't freak out :)

Sean MacGuire                                 sean at maclawran.ca

Key West                                        +1 305 390 0888
The best way to predict the future is to invent it. -  Alan Kay