[Xymon] Xymon security concern raised

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Wed Dec 5 18:14:55 CET 2012

I have a customer who is concerned that anyone could send data messages to
the xymon server with one of his host names and Xymon would accept it as
real thus potentially masking an attack.

Note that this is in a university environment, so even if data can come
only from campus addresses we might not necessarily trust the data.

Is there a way to get Xymon to check the IP address on incoming data
packets to verify that it is coming from the host it claims to be?

Thanks,
Steve Holmes
Purdue University