[Xymon] Green status

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Tue Aug 14 11:13:38 CEST 2012

What he is saying is that if there is an event that takes place where
you can execute a script at the time it happens, you can disable the
server by using the main binary's "disable" function. This binary used
to be called "bb" but is now called "xymon" -- take a look at its man
page to see how to send a disable message.

On 08/14/2012 03:55 AM, pankaj dorlikar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for proving pointers and important clues. 1) Query
> regarding "server-side test" : We can know the status of the "down"
> nodes which are down as per schedular's instructions. But how this
> information will help in setting the blue/green color for those
> nodes in xymon web page? I mean how to send this data to xymon
> server? Also will it cover all the tests?
>
> 2) How client cas send to send a "disable" command to server?
>
> thank you
>
> -pankaj
>

> On 8/14/12, cleaver at terabithia.org <cleaver at terabithia.org> wrote:
>>> We are using xymon-4.2.2 on rhel 5.2 server and more than 200
>>> clients (HPC Cluster nodes).
>>>
>>> Our requirement is :
>>>
>>> -> If the node is powered down by scheduler for saving the
>>> power, it is required that xymon should show its state as green
>>> and same for other tests of same node.
>>>
>>> Nodes powered down by scheduler are identified by pbsnodes
>>> command which will show state as power.
>>>
>>> -> If the node is going down by some other reason other that
>>> powering down by scheduler, it should show red like normal
>>> clients.
>>>

>> Assuming your scheduler can have shell script hooks attached to
>> events, I'd add something to send a "disable" command before it
>> brings a node down, and then re-enable as it comes back up. If
>> the nodes are being powered down without state being saved (eg,
>> not suspending/resuming themselves), then just disable "until
>> OK", otherwise I'd use some arbitrary future value.
>>
>> Relevant tests will be blue (not green, as requested), but that
>> will be handled as a non-event for SLA purposes.
>>
>> Separately, it might be a good idea to have a separate
>> server-side test that sends node state about each node to xymon
>> independent of the node itself. That test is a fine place to put
>> logic as well.
>>

>> HTH,
>>
>> -jc

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/EI-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark