[Xymon] Data flooding error messages feature request

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Mon Aug 6 01:24:37 CEST 2012

Henrik,
> On 04-08-2012 15:25, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
>> BBWin failed to send the client data successfully to the Xymon server. The
>> error was : Can't send message : An existing connection was forcibly
>> closed by the remote host..
> Do you see a message about "data flooding" in the xymond.log file on the
> server ?
Just a suggestion on diagnosing these cases - could the "data flooding"
message also include a) the type of message that is causing the data
flooding (client/status/data/etc report) and b) the client name that is
in that message. This info is in line 1 of the message, so easy enough
to detect.

So rather than:

Data flooding from 192.168.1.1, closing connection

how about:

Data flooding from 192.168.1.1 - message type 'status' client 'test.example.com' - closing connection

I have recently had some cases where I am getting these messages from
the xymon server itself, where event logs or syslogs are forwarded to
the xymon server and an external script on the server is monitoring
those logs and sending the message on behalf of the client. If the
volume of messages is sustained at a flooding level, eventually the test
for that client goes purple!
> Try disabling the "msgs" module in the bbwin config - I've seen Windows
> servers generate multi-MB logs which could trigger xymond to close the
> connection.

Yes, it's an even worse cause of the above scenario, because filtering
usually only gets done server-side not client side.

David.

--
David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.