[Xymon] xymonnet runtime long on ping tests results sent

Michael Baydoun indymichaelb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 19:10:28 CEST 2012

The tests are running on the xymon server itself

Somehow, 6 days ago, the xymon server processes were starting using root
(even though that would seem to be impossible, as there is a username check
in /usr/lib64/xymon/server/hobbit.sh).  The OS was patched around that time.

That was causing histlog files to be created with root ownership and mode
600, preventing accessing those details from the web gui.

I killed all the xymon processes and restarted (service xymon start), which
started them up correctly as user xymon
However, once I did that, the Ping test results all started failing, even
though fping from the command line to the clients was working correctly,
and xymonnet went yellow with the long run time warning.
Eventually, to get the ping tests working again for now I had to bypass the
username check in /usr/lib64/xymon/server/hobbit.sh and start everything
back up as the root user

I will have to find a time to switch it back to the xymon user, figure out
the ping test failures, and correct all the histlog file permissions.