[Xymon] Xymon 'data' directory

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Apr 20 22:59:51 CEST 2012

On 19-04-2012 20:29, John Horne wrote:
> Also I am wondering what the difference is between the 'data' channel
> and the 'usermsg' channel? If the usermsg channel is 'for whatever the
> user wants to use it for', then I would prefer using that.

The main difference is that the graph-handling module (xymond_rrd) in
the default configuration receives data messages, so if you use a
data-message then you must take care to avoid using data-names which are
already in use by the standard Xymon tools - and hence recognized by
xymond_rrd as something it should parse and build a graph from.

"usermsg" is untouched by the standard Xymon tools, so how that is used
is completely up to you.