[Xymon] TIME_WAIT making client report too big

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Sat Apr 14 08:25:42 CEST 2012

On 4/13/2012 12:48 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I have a couple of servers that I just started monitoring.  These
> servers exist to run haproxy, a load balancer.  The haproxy program
> tends to leave a lot of TIME_WAIT connections in the netstat output.
> This is resulting in a client report that is too big, and I am getting
> false red alarms on procs, because it can't find the cron process.

I got a couple of off-list replies, one of which pointed me at a page
about TCP disruption problems due to time_wait.  I am not having a
problem with the server, or with the haproxy process that is generating
the time_wait entries.  There are not enough of them to actually cause
network disruption.  The only thing having a problem here is xymon.

I did find a fairly non-disruptive way to deal with it - I bumped up the
max message sizes on the server.  So far the false red alarm has not
come back.  I discovered that a few of my other hosts were having their
reports truncated as well, though I did not know it until today.

Thanks,
Shawn