[Xymon] Feature - NTP stratum too high - test shows yellow

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 17:28:48 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 09:55 -0400, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Wow!  Great work!  Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. However, it is simply offered to the Xymon developers for
consideration :-) It may be that there is a better way to do this.

A couple of points I perhaps should have mentioned are that:

1) 'ntpdate' (used in the 'ntp' test) is somewhat deprecated. Although
the use of 'ntpd -q' is suggested instead, as far as I can tell this
does not do what we want (i.e. return the stratum value). As such, it
may be better to use something like 'ntpq -nc peers <host>' for the
'ntp' test to list the NTP peers, and then process that output.
Fortunately it shows the peers in use, and their stratum levels.

2) Making it work with sntp may be nice :-) (As said the sntp output in
later versions does show the stratum level - on the end of the output
line I gather.)

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001