[Xymon] Xymon vs Solarwinds

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:53:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Vernon Everett
<everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys
> I have a client that dislikes open source software. They feel it's "out of
> control", there's no support, and no backup.
> They prefer something where they can get "professional" support, and
> licensed software and all the crap we have all heard before.
> Somebody at the top, decided that SolarWinds is the corporate standard.
> From what I have read, it's SNMP based, so great for network, and stuff
> running SNMP, but not so good for anything else.
> Has anybody had any hands-on experience with both Solarwinds and Xymon, who
> can give me a short breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of
> Solarwinds compared to Xymon?

In the meantime, why not run both at the same time and see which
stands out better?
if the decision is based on evidence then it won't be a problem. if it
is based on
faith/emotion/blah, why waste time in trying to convince?

If running xymon requires some understanding which someone is lack
off, then why the
torture :P

We have different departments in our company either running both in
parallel or were
convinced to switch to xymon completely. Since in our company there is
no homogeneous
platform and xymon works on all it was easier to stick with it. plus
vendor locking
was eliminated, which felt good. not to mention I felt good to convince as much
as I can to stick with open source.

> Regards
>     Vernon

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?