[Xymon] How to setup SMS service?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Oct 10 22:12:52 CEST 2011

On 10-10-2011 10:35, Carl Inglis wrote:
 > This is something that's always amused me - if I've got an email2SMS
 > service set up, how do I get the SMS to tell me that my mail server or
 > mail provider or connectivity's gone down?

Indeed ...

 > Personally I use SMS_Client to send SMS directly via the POTS for
 > critical alerts.

GSM modems in the form of USB sticks are extremely common around here
(don't know about the US, but I'd suspect you have them also). Stick one
or two of those on your Xymon server, and add a bit of software to
interface it via Xymon's "script" alert mechanism - voila, alerting that
doesn't rely on your Internet-connection or the availability of a
mailserver.

I use the "smstools" package from Debian Linux to manage the GSM modem.
Works fine, only problem is that the modems have a bad habit of going
into a "sleep" mode that requires reloading the driver before they wake
up. Probably a specific hardware issue with these modems, but since I
have a work-around it isn't much of a problem.

For bonus points I interfaced with Postscript for a home-made mail->sms
gateway.