[Xymon] serverside tests using data from multiple clients?

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 01:25:41 CET 2011

We had something similar at a previous client.

I am assuming that these measures are all related, and you want to see them
all in one place?
"Invent" a dummy server. Let's call it dserv1

Remember, when you send data from a client, the client name is in the data
message.
If all of these tests send their data with $MACHINE is set to dserv1, it
really doesn't matter where the data comes from, the Xymon server will
think it's data from dserv1, and treat it as such.

Now you have all the data in one place, making consolidation relatively
trivial.

Regards
     Vernon

On 23 November 2011 08:13, Elizabeth Schwartz <betsy.schwartz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here's our situation.
>
> We've got some things we want to watch multiple servers, that will
> come through as a name-value pair (once we write the local test)
>
> So on server one I might have
>   foo-23
>   bar-25
> and on server two I might have
>  bar- 17
>  baz 3
>
> We want to to do some tests that would involve adding and correlating
> all this information. There can be *many* possible names, not just
> three
>
> What's the most xymon-like way to do it? Can I send data through
> client tests that is *read* by server-side tests ? (I vaguely remember
> there was a way to do it but searching is not workign for me today).
>
> One way to do it is to make a log file for each client, rsync the logs
> to a common location , and then run a single custom test on that
> location, but that strikes me as beign a bit "outside the box". I want
> to work within xymon whenever possible, and having individual client
> tests and the combo test accessible from the xymon interface would b e
> nice.
>
> thanks for any thoughts or clues

"While it is futile to try to eliminate risk, and questionable to try to
minimize it, it is essential that the risks taken be the right risks. "
- Peter F. Drucker