[Xymon] Question about xymonnet --dns switch

Jon Eveland xymon at jwenet.net
Fri Nov 18 18:19:36 CET 2011

I'm trying to figure out the best way to have xymon use the IP address
in hosts.cfg when present, and use DNS resolution otherwise.  Ideally
I'd like to maintain IP addresses for things not in my DNS only in
hosts.cfg (i.e. not need to also maintain /etc/hosts).  For example,
two records from hosts.cfg

192.168.1.1  router  #
0.0.0.0      server1 # ftp ssh

What I'd like is for xymon to use the IP when listed (eg for the
router), but use the resolver when the IP is 0.0.0.0.

--dns=standard : fails to resolve "router", unless I tag with "testip"
--dns=only     : fails to resolve "router" no matter what
--dns=ip       : fails to resolve server1

Should --dns=ip be falling back to the resolver when the IP is 0.0.0.0?
Or, should there be a --dns=xymon, which uses hosts.cfg as its first
step and then falls back to the resolver?  Or, am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jon