[Xymon] Custom graph interval

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 11 09:10:53 CET 2011

On 11-11-2011 01:06, Ger Maguire wrote:

> Hi, I have a custom script that is working fine and graphing with no
> problems when I have the test launch interval set to 5m but if I change
> this to 10 or 15m then the graph stops updating,

This is due to the way that the rrd-files are created. An rrd file has a
"step" setting telling RRD what the normal update-interval is for the
graph; if updates don't arrive with the expected interval, it will
consider the data to be stale/invalid and not show any graphs.

The default for RRD-files generated by Xymon is to get updates in 5
minute intervals.

To fix this you should define the RRD in the "rrddefinitions.cfg" file
and specify a different update interval. If you update it once every 15
minutes = 900 seconds, then you can copy most of the default setup in
that file, and just change the interval. Like this:

[sfap/900]
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:576
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:576
         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:576

Note that this is only used when the rrdfile is created - it cannot be
changed later. So you will have to delete your current sfap.rrd files
and have Xymon re-create them with the new "step" value. You can use the
command "rrdtool info ~xymon/data/rrd/HOSTNAME/sfap.rrd" to see what the
step value is.