[Xymon] Ext tests for storage devices? EMC Celerra, Sun 7310, Data Domain DD-880 , other?)

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 23:59:57 CET 2011

Well, that's good news and bad news for Betsy.
Bad news because the script is useless to her.
It good news, because her data doesn't live on a 6540.
Under the hood, the 6540 (and a range of IBM storage, I forget which) were
the same animal - a piece of junk from LSI, which, under the right
circumstances will slowly start to quietly corrupt data. It also "forgets"
which is the parity bit, so it can't reconstruct either.
When you send logs to Sun/Oracle or IBM, they refer the matter to LSI.
After a month or so, they come back with "I dunno", and the email
equivalent of a shoulder shrug.
I have had 2 clients lose data this way. One on a 6540, and another got
stung 3 times on three different occasions. One on the IBM kit, and twice
on two different 6540s. (They have lots of storage)
Unless you are using a file system like ZFS that does checksumming, it
could take weeks to notice the problem. And the only recovery path is a
restore from backup.

NetApp purchased the storage division of LSI in May this year, so beware of
their mid-range storage.
The odd thing though, according to the press releases at the time, LSI were
still going to supply Sun/Oracle and IBM with storage - despite them now
being the competition.
I don't think I will ever understand corporate business.

Hope you come right with the script, and don't forget to put it up on
Xymonton when it's done.

Regards
     Vernon