[Xymon] Listening on Multiple IPs

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 4 08:27:37 CET 2011

On 03-11-2011 19:23, Chris Ahrens wrote:
> My Xymon server has 3 IP addresses that I want to spread out my incoming
> status messages on. I did not use the --listen so that xymond would come
> up to use 0.0.0.0:1984 and netstat shows it listening on 0.0.0.0:1984,
> but when I look at the network traffic 99.9% of it is on eth0.
>
> My client servers are using the dns entry of the Xymon server and dns
> has all 3 IP addresses of the Xymon server associated correctly.

I suppose all three IP's are on the same IP-network ? How this is
handled is highly OS dependant. I mostly have Linux experience, and
there the IP's are not really associated with specific network
interfaces - they are bound to the system as a whole. So even if you
have an IP configured on one network interface, the traffic may just as
well be received and transmitted over another interface, as long as they
are all on the same IP network.

And that goes for ARP requests too, so you can easily end up with most
of the traffic being handled by one interface.

As Josh wrote, the solution is to use Ethernet bonding - i.e. instead of
3 100 Mbit interfaces each with their own IP, you have one 300 Mbit
interface with a single IP.