[Xymon] Listening on Multiple IPs

Darrik Mazey darrik.lists at darmasoft.com
Thu Nov 3 23:44:10 CET 2011

On 11/03/2011 03:57 PM, Xymon User in Richmond wrote:
> DNS will return all 3 IPs on a query, and it's left to the client side
> which to use.  Most often the first one is used.  "Round robin" DNS
> servers will alternate the order of the 3, but that still leaves a lot of
> room for locking in on a single address by multiple clients.  You could
> set up different names for the IPs and bind groups of Xymon clients to
> each to spread out the load, I think.

This will also depend on whether the xymon client resolves the ip once
at startup or on each data send.  If it's once at startup, then whatever
ip it is given (even from a round-robin dns server) will persist until
it is restarted.  I'll leave it to those who have examined this behavior
and xymon client internals to say which is the case.

Darrik

--
Darrik Mazey
DarmaSoft, LLC.