[Xymon] html_mail.pl help

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Fri May 27 01:01:02 CEST 2011

Kevin,

> Thanks David,
>

> I have it running now. I am finding that when using the email ack
> function these messages are not getting parsed correctly. It is not
> seeing the delay or and comment text.

I have never used or tested the email ack function, so not sure what it
is expecting.

http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/manpages/man8/xymon-mailack.8.html

>     ADDING INFORMATION TO THE REPLY MAIL
>
> By default, an acknowledgment is valid for 1 hour. If you know in
> advance that solving the problem is going to take longer, you can
> change this by adding *delay=DURATION* to the subject of your mail
> reply or on a line in the reply message. Duration is in minutes,
> unless you add a trailing 'h' (for 'hours'), 'd' (for 'days') or 'w'
> (for 'weeks').
>
> You can also include a message that will show up on the status-page
> together with the acknowledgment, e.g. to provide an explanation for
> the issue or some other information to the users. You can either put
> it at the end of the subject line as *msg=Some random text*, or you
> can just enter it in the e-mail as the first non-blank line of text in
> the mail (a "delay=N" line is ignored when looking for the message text).

May require some pre-processor to parse the ack message.

> Here is what is being displayed on the nongreen page:
>

> 7 events acknowledged in the past 240 minutes
>
> Thu May 26 14:19:10 2011
>

> RcpkNj02Ss7R01A
>

> if_stat
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message i
>
> Thu May 26 14:19:02 2011
>

> MplsMnGtSs7R01B
>

> if_stat
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message i
>
> Thu May 26 14:17:57 2011
>

> ElssTxAeSS7R01A
>

> if_load
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message i
>
> Thu May 26 14:17:41 2011
>

> ElssTxAeSS7R01A
>

> if_load
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message i
>
> Thu May 26 14:06:46 2011
>

> BurlMaEhSS7R01B
>

> if_dsc
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message i
>
> Thu May 26 14:01:13 2011
>

> AllnTxDwSS7R01B
>

> if_load
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message i
>
> Thu May 26 14:00:21 2011
>

> CncnOhAmSs7R01B
>

> if_stat
>

> http://scbgilifss7cwsvr.wnsnet.attws.com/xymon/gifs/red.gif
>

> "KING, KEVIN (ATTSI)" KK1051 at att.com
>

> This is a multi-part message

Quite likely xymon-mailack doesn't handle MIME messages ("This is a
multi-part message" would indicate this), since there would be too many
options to have to cater for.

It is possibly a side effect in your MUA (Outlook?) of receiving an html
formatted alert e-mail that by default an HTML reply will be generated -
can you configure your mail client to do a plain text e-mail reply?
Thunderbird has this feature in the address book selectable per user.

Did it work before you tried html_mail.pl ?

I don't think it is a limitation of html_mail.pl as such, unless some
extra headers could assist in hinting to a MUA to reply in plaintext only.

David.