[Xymon] Windows PS client svcs data missing

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Tue May 10 03:30:54 CEST 2011

On 10/05/11 2:09 AM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I've run into a problem with the Windows Powershell client
> intermittently omitting service data on Win2008.  Here's the relevant
> parts of the client data file:
>

> Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard   (build 7600)
>
> ---snip---
>
> Persistent Routes:
>
>   None
>
> [ifstat]
>
> fe80::619f:8c8:bf22:6ca5%11 2254617444 2999570366
>
> 10.100.1.211 2254617444 2999570366
>
> ::1 0 0
>
> 127.0.0.1 0 0
>
> [svcs]
>
> Name                                    StartupType  Status
> DisplayName
>
> [uptime]
>
> sec: 8168297
>
> 94 days 12 hours 58 minutes 17 seconds
>
> Bootup: 20110203213923.713291-360
>
> [who]
>
> SESSIONNAME       USERNAME                 ID  STATE   TYPE        DEVICE
>
> ---snip---
>

> As you can see, the svcs portion is empty.  I already updated the
> client to the latest PS client files available and it still is
> happening. I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure how I can help
> troubleshoot this, but I'm willing to help in any way I can.

services information is gathered from WMI. The builtin powershell
"get-services" doesn't return sufficient information.

Try the following:

open a powershell window (powershell.exe lives in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0)

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service

Try running it a few times. Is it slow, or does it sometimes not return
any information?

Also, if you look at the Client data report (link at the bottom of
various pages - cpu, disk, procs, svcs), do you see sections for
[WMI:Win32...] towards the bottom of the report. There should be:

WMI:Win32_OperatingSystem
WMI:Win32_ComputerSystem
WMI:Win32_BIOS
WMI:Win32_Processor
WMI:Win32_PhysicalMemory
WMI:Win32_LogicalDisk
WMI:Win32_QuickFixEngineering
WMI:Win32_Product

If these are missing there may be a problem with the WMI service. Try
restarting it in the first instance.

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.