[Xymon] Hobbit-trap won't display traps]

Williams, Doug (Consultant-RIC) Doug.Williams at DexOne.com
Fri Mar 25 00:09:48 CET 2011

Not sure if anyone already replied, but look at  your snmptrapd log and see what format the trap is coming in as.  The trap format may be different or more likely the hostname is different (maybe fully qualified or not) and not matching what you have in your sec.conf file

From: xymon-bounces at xymon.com [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Josephine Tsikoudaki
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:35 AM
To: xymon
Subject: [Xymon] Hobbit-trap won't display traps]

Hello again...

Has anyone got any idea in how to handle the following? Sorry to bring it up again but I haven't found anything to help...

I am really stuck here...

Josephine

Hello all

I am having trouble receiving SNMP traps from my hosts using the implementation of:

http://cerebro.victoriacollege.edu/hobbit-trap.html

In details:

I followed the instructions in my hobbit server. We have several servers and some dell DRAC consoles among them. When I enable the snmp alerts through the DRAC and send a test alert  I receive the trap and the "trap" column is created and the trap message appears.

When I send a test trap from a server (not a console) i see the trap coming in my hobbit-server logs, both from snmptrapd and snmptt, but the trap column never appears for this host, the trap is not being displayed and i don't see anything in the snmpttunknown log or the ghost client menu of Hobbit.

If it wasn't for the consoles I'd presumed that perhaps the trap.pl or trap.sh scripts won't work correctly but given the successful results of the method in the DRAC consoles I wonder what can possibly be wrong...

The servers that I run the tests from all have hobbit client installed but I tried also from a server without the client installed, simply sending a trap test to the  hobbit server. No results either.

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks a lot

Josephine.
plain text document attachment (ATT2638439.txt), "ATT2638439.txt"