[Xymon] Background GIFs Improperly Displayed on Host-Service Pages

Jonathan B. Horen jbhoren at alaska.edu
Thu Mar 24 23:55:57 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Jonathan B. Horen <jbhoren at alaska.edu>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Jonathan B. Horen <jbhoren at alaska.edu>wrote:
>
>> I configured, compiled, and installed xymon-4.3.0 according to the
>> directions in docs/upgrade-to-430.txt (I've been running xymon-4.3.0beta2
>> for the past 15 months... with no problems).
>>
>> Everything works fine... except that the backgrounds displayed on the
>> pages generated for host-service tests appear to be displayed improperly.
>> Rather than having a single vertical stripe of color on the left-hand side
>> of the page, which changes to black over an approximately inch-wide
>> gradient, the vertical stripe-and-gradient are displayed over and over,
>> across the width of the page... like waves. It's horribly disconcerting, and
>> I cannot believe that this is by-design.
>>
>> Any ideas on what's-what?
>>

> Looking at the page source from the main page and a host-service-test page,
> I see that the main page calls for the use of a style sheet:
>
> <!-- Styles for the Xymon body  -->
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/xymon/gifs/xymonbody.css">
>
> while the host-service-test pages do not (setting the background
> statically):
>
> <BODY BGCOLOR="green" BACKGROUND="/xymon/gifs/bkg-green.gif" TEXT="#D8D8BF" LINK="#00FFAA" VLINK="#FFFF44">

FIXED!

I edited $XYMONHOME/web/hostsvc_header as follows:

<!-- Styles for the Xymon body  -->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/xymon/gifs/xymonbody.css">

<!-- The favicon image -->
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="&BBSKIN/favicon-&BBBACKGROUND.ico">
</HEAD>

<BODY class="&BBBACKGROUND">

<BODY BGCOLOR="&BBBACKGROUND" BACKGROUND="&BBSKIN/bkg-&BBBACKGROUND.gif"
TEXT="#D8D8BF" LINK="#00FFAA" VLINK="#FFFF44">

(added what's in blue, and deleted what's in red)