[Xymon] LFS support check failed for standard file support - xymon 3.0

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:19:07 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Henrik Størner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

>>  MAKE="gmake" sh -x ./build/lfs.sh
>> + echo Checking for Large File Support ...
>> Checking for Large File Support ...
>> + cd build
>> + gmake -f Makefile.test-lfs clean
>> + uname -s
>> + tr [/] [_]
>> OS=SunOS
>> gmake: *** [clean] Error 2
>> + gmake -f Makefile.test-lfs
>> gmake: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>> + [ 0 -ne 0 ]
>> + ./test-lfs-std 4
>> STDRES=4:1:-78191077919555584
>> + test 4:1:-78191077919555584 != 4:1:0 -a 4:1:-78191077919555584 != 8:1:0
>> + echo ERROR: LFS support check failed for standard file support
>> ERROR: LFS support check failed for standard file support
>> + exit 1
>
> This is bizarre.
>
> What this does is that it builds a tiny test program using standard
> compiler-flags first, and then the flags that you would normally use when
> compiling for large file support (LFS).
>
> When compiled without LFS, I expect the normal file offset "off_t" variable
> to be 32 bits (4 bytes); with LFS, I would expect it to be 64-bits (8
> bytes). To test that, the program prints out
>
> 1) The value of "sizeof(off_t)"
> 2) A boolean (0/1) value to see if sizeof(off_t) is what I expect
> 3) The value of an off_t variable that has been cleared to zero using
> memset() - we need to print these values occasionally (e.g. for keeping
> track of how long into a logfile we have already scanned).
>
> 1) and 2) look OK, but the value prints as "-7819...." There is no way I can
> see how that can happen - that variable has been cleared to 0 just a few
> lines above the print-statement.
>
> Just to see if I'm completely wrong, could you try running this for me:
>
>  cd build
>  rm test-lfs-std test-lfs-lfs
>  OS=SunOS gmake -f Makefile.test-lfs
>  ./test-lfs-std 4
>  ./test-lfs-lfs 8
>
> The output from the last line would be interesting.

root at solaris { ~ }$ rm test-lfs-std test-lfs-lfs
root at solaris { ~ }$ OS=SunOS gmake -f Makefile.test-lfs
root at solaris { ~ }$ OS=SunOS gmake -f Makefile.test-lfs
test-lfs.c: In function 'main':
test-lfs.c:11:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
built-in function 'memset'
test-lfs.c: In function 'main':
test-lfs.c:11:2: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memset'
test-lfs.c:11:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of
built-in function 'memset'
root at solaris { ~ }$ ./test-lfs-std 4
4:1:-78191077919555584
root at solaris { ~ }$ ./test-lfs-std 8
4:0:-78191077919555584

> Thanks,
> Henrik

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?