[Xymon] Reversing the effects of a 'bb 127.0.0.1 "drop HOSTNAME TEST"' command

Jonathan B. Horen jbhoren at alaska.edu
Thu Mar 3 18:46:15 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Jonathan B. Horen <jbhoren at alaska.edu>wrote:
>
>> !@#$%
>>
>> I've never been good a dealing with the aftermath of purple alerts, and
>> always end-up using brute-force to remove all hostname references in
>> $XYMON/data. But this time I really screwed-up and ran
>>
>> bb 127.0.0.1 "drop HOSTNAME TEST"
>>
>> for the purple-affected hosts... and now I can't get 'em back!
>>

> I could be wrong, but I think you're pretty much done, as far as the old
> information goes.  Actually, I'm not sure about the RRDs.  However, whatever
> was purple will come back just as soon as the next report is delivered.  If
> you want to put the dots back up manually, try this:
>
>      bb 127.0.0.1 "status hostname,domain,com.stuff green"
>
> to send a green status for the "stuff" column.  Those are commas in the
> hostname, because back in the day BB used the period to separate the test
> name from the host name.  Give it 30 mins and it'll go purple all on its
> own... :)
>
> You could follow up with:
>
>      bb 127.0.0.1 "disable hostname,domain,com.stuff -1 wups, broke it"
>
> to send "disable until OK", so those pesky purple dots stay away.

I guess I didn't express myself correctly. I need the tests to restart, not
to have a green status-LED place-holder.

At this point, I've:

   - stopped xymon on the server
   - stopped xymon on the three affected clients
   - copied all of $XYMON/data/{hist,hostdata,hostlogs,rrd} from my last
   backup to $XYMON/data
   - started xymon on the server
   - started xymon on the three affected clients

No joy. The LEDs for cpu, disk, files, memory, msgs, ports, and procs on the
three affected hosts remain missing.

On each of the affected clients,
$XYMON/tmp/{hobbit_vmstat.biotech.nnn,msg.biotech.txt) exist and are updated
regularly (@5-minute intervals).

So, what's wrong on the server? Why isn't the information being
generated-and-displayed on bb.html?

What am I missing?

--
JONATHAN B. HOREN     ARSC/LSI     Systems Administrator
WRRB/008-001     T: (907) 450-8694     E: jbhoren at alaska.edu
*"After Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!!"*