[Xymon] Windows PS client svcs data missing

Scot Kreienkamp SKreien at la-z-boy.com
Mon Jun 6 16:10:46 CEST 2011

 David,

First, the services information is unreliable.  This can fix that, if we can make it work.

If you are happy to do without the PID of currently running services, can probably grab service startup status from registry and be done with it.

[Scot Kreienkamp]

As long as the service shows the executable name I don't think the PID is required, and it's not shown now anyway.  The pertinent information is Name, Start type, Status, and DisplayName.  The PID can be found by using the EXE name on the CPU page if one needed that information.

Second, the PS client as a whole is a bit of a hog.  It takes 8-10 seconds at 100% CPU to run with no logfiles.  Contrast that with BBWin which takes 3-4 seconds including logfiles.  I've already had two admins ask to remove the PS client because users were seeing an impact.

Completely agree that the overhead has to be as low as possible. A monitoring agent shouldn't impact unduly on what it is monitoring!

[Scot Kreienkamp]

So what can we do to lower the load?  The only other suggestion I have is the WMI calls.

I did add the following line to the top of the PS client to get it to run at the lowest priority of the system:

get-Process  -id $PID | foreach {$_.PriorityClass= [System.Diagnostics.ProcessPriorityClass]::Idle}

I can add an option to set the priority of the client at startup.

[Scot Kreienkamp]

Great!

that way hopefully it will cause less of an impact on the system as the PS client is strictly CPU load.  I'll try using Ray's P/Invoke, but it may be above my head as I am not a programmer.

I really can't get excited about such gruesome delving into the bowels of Windows. A big attraction of using PS in the first place should be to avoid resorting to such ugly machinery. .Net classes and WMI is fair enough (as long as they don't overly burden the system), COM objects so-so, but directly invoking DLLs and similar seems pretty fragile as a long term proposition.

[Scot Kreienkamp]

I'm not excited about it either.  Actually, I've given up on it.  I'm not a programmer;  Its over my head.

Just out of curiosity I rewrote the services piece in AutoIt because I can easily tap into DLL's.  I know you don't want to branch things like that off to yet another technology, I just did it out of curiosity to see the difference between using .Net and WMI.  It was a considerable difference. Not only was it much faster, but the CPU load was significantly less.  If that holds true across the board, anything that could easily be moved off WMI calls to .Net calls would show a considerable return.

Thanks for being open minded and willing to take suggestions.  J

Scot Kreienkamp