[Xymon] ntpdate / sntp

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Tue Jul 12 02:40:26 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I just setup ntp checking for the first time. With SuSE they have
themselves deprecated ntpdate - it now only outputs a message saying to
use sntp instead. I only worked out sntp can be used by looking at the
xymonnet source code. It would be helpful if a commented SNTP entry were
put in xymonserver.cfg - here is a suggestion:

#SNTP="/usr/sbin/sntp"                           # Path to the 'sntp'
program - sntp will be used instead of ntpdate if set

Also, it would help to have a mention  in the hosts.cfg man page,
perhaps something like the following wording:

This test uses the "ntpdate" or the "sntp" utility to check for a NTP
server. This is selected by setting the environment variable in
$XYMONHOME/etc/xymonserver.cfg.

Finally, the -u parameter for sntp inserted by xymonnet - the full
list: "-u -d %d %s"  - doesn't work with the sntp that comes with the
ntp distribution. -u is not a parameter.

many thanks for xymon,

Phil