[xymon] Odd issue with Release Candidate one and alerts

SebA spa at syntec.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 14:20:41 CET 2011

Clark, Sean <mailto:sean.clark at twcable.com> wrote:
> I just compiled and installed RC1 on a Red Hat EL5.5 server
> this AM, and have come across a strange issue - don't know if
> it's my configuration or something with the new version
>
> It seems like it isn't following the DURATION flag for alerts

<snip>

> here is the alerts.cfg relevent sections:
>

>    128  HOST=% SERVICE=%disk|inode|procs|temperature|bbd|http|conn|ssh
>    129   MAIL=mailing-list at domain.com DURATION>20 REPEAT=60
> COLOR=red RECOVERED
>

>    134  HOST=% SERVICE=%disk|inode|procs|temperature
>    135   MAIL=SMSgateways at txt.att.com TIME=06:0000:2359
> DURATION>720 REPEAT=120 COLOR=red RECOVERED
>    136   MAIL=SMSgateways at txt.att.com TIME=12345:0000:0559
> DURATION>720 REPEAT=120 COLOR=red RECOVERED
>    137   MAIL=SMSgateways at txt.att.com TIME=12345:0600:1759
> DURATION>60 REPEAT=120 COLOR=red RECOVERED
>    138   MAIL=SMSgateways at txt.att.com TIME=12345:1800:2359
> DURATION>720 REPEAT=120 COLOR=red RECOVERED
>

> What i am expecting from these rules/matches is
>
> email mailing-list  if it's been red for > 20 minutes, and
> email on recovery

<snip>

> What is happening is
>
> When a red even occurs, it immediately sends an email to
> mailing-list at domain.com , and an email to SMSgateways at txt.att.com
>

> Does anyone know if this is my configuration that needs
> fixing , or something with 4.3.0?
>

> -Sean

I'm going to come at this one from the other direction and ignore the tests
you did which, as Henrik pointed out, are invalid. Instead I'm going to add
you, do these e-mails follow reds, which follow yellows for a period greater
than DURATION? Perhaps, e.g. your disk is permanently yellow, except for
when it goes red, and then the alert triggers straight away?  Do you have
yellow listed as one of your ALERTCOLORS?  If so, then I think this may be
the 'cause', though I have posted before about how I think this should be
made more flexible....

One question I have if Henrik is reading this is, can I use custom colours,
e.g. orange, and put that in ALERTCOLORS instead of yellow?  I suppose I
could just try it and see what happens (since the only yellows that I want
to alert on are custom tests anyway)...

Regards,

SebA