[xymon] Hobbit core dump every 5 minutes

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 19 00:05:53 CET 2011

In <A0F1E85D-F28A-4251-BEC9-865533002350 at criticalpath.net> Brian Daly <brian.daly at criticalpath.net> writes:

>today my hobbit server started throwing up purple alerts for all my =
>network (conn) and various other tcp connection tests. I noticed that a =
>core file was being created every 5 minutes. Here is what gdb has to say =

>[hobbit at monitor server]$ gdb bin/hobbitd core.4115

You're feeding gdb the wrong program. It says

>Core was generated by `bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse'.

So instead of "bin/hobbitd", use "bin/bbtest-net". That should
(hopefully) give us a much more usable gdb output.

>This is the latest output from the bb-network.log  file -
>xstrdup: Cannot dup NULL string

Hmm, pretty generic that one. Anything else in that log?

You can run bbtest-net by hand - with
  $ bbcmd bbtest-net HOSTNAME
where HOSTNAME is the name of one of your hosts. It would be
interesting to know if it crashes if you test only one host -
that would point to the problem being in global configuration.
If it runs fine with one host, then the problem is probably
in the configuration of one particular host in bb-hosts.

I suspect it is a mis-configuration of one network test, there
have been some problems with error handling if network tests
(especially URL's in complex web- or ldap-checks) were not
specified correctly.

>not sure how to find out what version of Hobbit I'm running.

bin/bbtest-net --version