[xymon] Hobbit core dump every 5 minutes

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Tue Jan 18 23:09:45 CET 2011

On 19/01/11 5:42 AM, Brian Daly wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> today my hobbit server started throwing up purple alerts for all my
> network (conn) and various other tcp connection tests. I noticed that
> a core file was being created every 5 minutes. Here is what gdb has to
> say -
>

> [hobbit at monitor server]$ gdb bin/hobbitd core.4115
> GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7.0.1-23.el5_5.2)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
> Reading symbols from /usr/local/hobbit/server/bin/hobbitd...done.
>
> warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
> Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done.
> Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> Core was generated by `bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
> #0  0x00e3d402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x00e3d402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
> #1  0x005f2040 in ?? ()
> #2  0x00720ff4 in ?? ()
> #3  0xb7f356d0 in ?? ()
> #4  0xbf8057a8 in ?? ()
> #5  0x005f3a21 in ?? ()
> #6  0x00000006 in ?? ()
> #7  0xbf80571c in ?? ()
> #8  0x00000000 in ?? ()
>

> This is the latest output from the bb-network.log  file -
>
> xstrdup: Cannot dup NULL string
>

> not sure how to find out what version of Hobbit I'm running.

To show the version:

$ bbcmd bbtest-net --version
2011-01-19 09:03:48 Using default environment file
/usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
bbtest-net version 4.2.3
SSL library : OpenSSL 0.9.8e-rhel5 01 Jul 2008
LDAP library: OpenLDAP 20343

Try running the gdb again against the bbtest-net binary at
/usr/local/hobbit/server/bin/bbtest-net on your system.

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.