Problem with file owner/group check

Marsh, Ian ian.marsh at hants.gov.uk
Fri Jan 14 11:25:24 CET 2011

  We recently encountered a problem with directory permissions on one of
our web servers and so decided to update our Xymon installation (v4.2.3)
to monitor it. Unfortunately I think I've found a bug in the code that
facilitates this.

In the hobbit-client.cfg file we have a test like this:

	FILE /var/somefile mode=755 owner=root groupid=root yellow

The owner test works fine but the group test doesn't, instead it say
that the file should be owned by group 'd=root'. Further investigation
shows that the owner test also fails in the same way if we use the
'ownerid=root' variation of the owner test. It's almost as if the code
is assuming that the first 6 characters of the token is the name and
everything else is the value. This works fine with the 'owner=root'
variation but fails dismally with the 'ownerid=root' and 'groupid=root'
variations. It would be fine if we could use 'group=root' but as that's
a reserved word it's not allowed.

  Unfortunately my C coding is virtually non-existent, I can get by with
reading it but not writing it! Has anyone encountered this before and
written a patch for it? Or has it been fixed in the 4.3.0 beta?

Thank you,
Ian Marsh

IT Service Operations - Network Services