[xymon] Planned downtime

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Wed Jan 5 16:06:41 CET 2011

Yes, that is what I currently do (I actually have some that are second
X-day of the month which are even more complicated), but it is a shame
that I now do not see the downtime information in the 'info' test. With
BB, no such test existed so it wasn't as big of a deal as everyone was
used to looking in cron.

On 1/5/2011 9:14 AM, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> On the other hand, you could use cron to schedule disablement of services:
>
>    0 0 * * * /home/xymon/server/bin/bb localhost "disable
> server,domain,org.TEST 90 scheduled downtime"
>
> would disable the TEST service on server.domain.org
> <http://server.domain.org> for 90 minutes, starting at midnight every
> night.  Note that the  hostname elements are comma-separated, because
> the dot marks the beginning of the test/service column name.  That's a
> legacy of the old BB days...
>
> See the "XYMON MESSAGE SYNTAX" section in the bb.1 man page for full
> details.
>
> Ralph Mitchell
>

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu
> <mailto:novosirj at umdnj.edu>> wrote:
>
>     With that said, DOWNTIME cannot do advanced scheduling which is I
>     believe one of the very few shortcomings of Xymon. I have a lot of
>     once-a-month maintenance. With Xymon, I believe the maximum time you
>     can do between is weekly.
>
>     -- Sent from my Palm Pre

>     On Jan 5, 2011 7:49, Johan Sjöberg <johan.sjoberg at deltamanagement.se
>     <mailto:johan.sjoberg at deltamanagement.se>> wrote:
>
>     You can use enable/disable to schedule future disables of hosts and
>     tests.
>
>     You can also use the DOWNTIME setting in bb-hosts if it is a
>     recurring downtime. See the manual.
>

>     /Johan

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/CST-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark