[xymon] Graph stopped working

Joe Acquisto joe.acquisto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:32:05 CET 2011

Thanks,  note that my original issue was solved.

Response in line, for clarity ( ? )

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Tim McCloskey <tm at freedom.com> wrote:

> By [subject] I'm guessing you mean the test which is defined in the top of
> the stanza.

Yes.  If by stanza, you mean each graph definition.

> Did you add the new [subject] to hobbitserver.cfg NCV?

Yes.

> Also, are the new rrd files getting updated (rrdtool dump foo.rrd)?

No.  I am a bit confused, as to how the rrd files get created.  I read about
rrdcreate, but while that created files, they did not seem to work.  No
doubt my hacking failed.    Later, after deleting the bad files,  an rrd of
correct name appeared, and seemed to work.   So, wondering if they get
created "by magic" as the system digests changed to config, or  .. .

> Usually, if I'm making changes to any rrd items I'll delete/rename any rrd
> files that may contain bogus data that slipped in while making the config
> changes

I have done that, from time to time.

This all stems from attempting to create a second custom graph, on a given
page, where all the (to be graphed) data has already been sent, over as a
text file, from which the working graph data has been extracted.

This, I am hoping can be done, but seems rather unlikely, at this time.

What I am trying to do, in short, is, display data (memory, cpu usage) for
several processes, on a distinct graph, on a single page.  One Graph for
memory usage (with a line for each process) and one for cpu usage (one line
per process).  The latter is working fine.

I have only recently come to graphing in this environment, as may be
obvious.

joe a.

Tim