[Xymon] Suggestion: make config or make init targets

SebA spa at syntec.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 20:35:06 CET 2011

Hi,

It would be nice if there was a way to install particularly the init script
automatically.  For example, on Redhat, one has to (copied and pasted from
another page - I did something similar for the version I got from
subversion, where I was just compiling and installing the client):

# cp -p /usr/local/src/xymon-4.2.3/rpm/hobbit-init.d /etc/rc.d/init.d/xymon
# chown root:root /etc/rc.d/init.d/xymon
# chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/xymon
# chkconfig xymon on

One has to also edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/xymon change the DAEMON to point to
one's actual path (which the configure script already has).

The above steps need to be done for xymon-client too.

Then you need to copy /path/to/source/xymon-client.default to
/etc/default/xymon-client.  You need to edit it and add the Xymon server IP
address, which again, you already entered in the configure script...

There are several steps here which could be automated, and it would make
installing the client on machines quicker and less error prone, and many of
us have to do this on many machines.

I suggest the above could be accomplished with a "make config" or "make
init" target from the source directory, logged in as root.

If you are using e.g. Debian instead of Redhat, this would be automatically
detected and the debian init scripts would be installed instead.

Unfortunately, I'm no shell script wizz and can't really do this myself.

Kind regards,

Sebastian  A