[xymon] Monitoring multiple Linux Processes

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Feb 5 11:50:41 CET 2011

In <3B9C50B11919A24884D4983669EE5D7314A4D60B at EXMBXBG103.mtg.home.ads> "Newton, Steve (MBS)" <Steve.Newton at PHH.com> writes:

>1) What Xymon version are you running ?
>	4.3.0.3.beta2

It would be interesting to know if this problem also
happens with 4.3.0 RC1, but I realize this upgrade
might require some planning if it is a production
system.

>2) Please run this command and send me the result:
>   xymon 127.0.0.1 "xymondboard host=Hostname1 test=info
> fields=hostname,BBH_PAGEPATH,BBH_ALLPAGEPATHS"

>	[root at vmlb1mon1p bin]# ./bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard host=lb1etl1p
> test=info field=hostname,BBH_PAGEPATH,BBH_ALLPAGEPATHS"
>lb1etl1p.mortgagesvcs.com|info|green||0|0|0|0|0||0|

Not quite what I was looking for - you've written "field" instead
of "fields" (plural) in the command. What I was after was to see
if these hosts are present on more than one page in your bb-hosts
file.

>4) Try running the command
>      xymoncmd xymond_client --test
>	[root at vmlb1mon1p bin]# ./bbcmd hobbitd_client --test
>Process batchman color red: Count=0, min=1, max=-1
>Hostname (.=end,= > ?=dump, !=reload)

OK, so at least this is consistent with the "procs" status you see.

The only reason I can think of is if the hosts are present on
more than one page in the bb-hosts file - then they might
have a different "PAGE" value than you think. There was a
change done so that PAGE will now match any of the pages
a host is listed on, and if memory serves me right then
this was done between beta-2 and beta-3. So that could be
the problem you're having.