TS - 'route:' statement for DUAL homed devices

d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com
Wed Feb 2 20:24:58 CET 2011

I am using the 'route:' statement for dependencies currently.

In my environment, I have dual everything to the wiring closet, or dual homed servers.

Is there a way to have a device watch for BOTH paths back?

In other words, if both connections fail then the SERVER will turn YELLOW and show the unreachable cause.

3 Examples:

I can watch for a failure of "wiring-closet-switch" but cannot go any farther back

CISCO-6500A à  1 gig fiber connectionà wiring-closet-switch à SERVER

CISCO-6500B  à 1 gig fiber connection ---^

CISCO-6500A à top-of-rack-switch à SERVER

CISCO-6500B ----^

CISCO-6500A à SERVER

CISCO-6500B ----^

Would this work?

                SERVER  # route:top-of-rack-switch,CISCO-6500A,CISCO-6500B  conn  ...

Thanks,

Tom Schmitt

Senior IT Staff - R&D

L-3 Communication Systems West