[Xymon] Xymon clientupdate Issue

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Dec 6 22:18:38 CET 2011

On 06-12-2011 12:14, Adam Bml wrote:
> We’ve managed to compile and setup the server and clients fine, clients
> are reporting into the main Xymon server without issue. We have however
> got stuck on one problem.
>
> When trying to auto-update the clients with a new version of the client
> it fails. See below:
>
> $ ./clientupdate --update=client_v3
> 2011-12-06 11:03:59 Whoops ! Failed to send message (Connection failed)
> 2011-12-06 11:03:59 ->  connect to Xymon daemon at 127.0.0.1:1984
> 2011-12-06 11:03:59 ->  Recipient '127.0.0.1', timeout 15
[snip]
> I’m assuming it’s failing because it’s trying to contact 127.0.0.1,
> however I can’t see where it’s getting this address from?! When the
> client was compiled we gave the IP address of the Xymon server.

"clientupdate" expects to run with the full set of Xymon client
environment variables defined - it will then pickup the XYMONSERVERIP
that you have configured in the xymonclient.cfg file.

Usually, "clientupdate" is run as part of the normal client run-cycle,
so this has already been defined by xymonlaunch.

To test this by hand, try prefixing the command with "xymoncmd". Like:

    xymoncmd clientupdate --update=client_v3

That should work.