[Xymon] ORA-12514 in xymon

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Dec 6 16:59:35 CET 2011

On 23-11-2011 09:03, Jens Torwesten wrote:

> in xymon we sometimes get the following error message output after adding a new
> database Oracle 10g and Oracle 11g.
>
> ORA-12514:TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
> descriptor (IDBD Error: OCIServerAttach)
>
> It's not a configuration error, SID, Port, Servername or IP adress are all
> configured properly. All other remote applications can connect with this values,
> only xymon has problems to connect.
> All our databases are configured in the same way in xymon, but only some of them
> show the ORA-12514 failure.

well ... it's an oracle client problem. What script are you using to
check Oracle databases ?

I have seen this with the "dbcheck.pl" script from the
hobbit-perl-client package, but only with older database versions. A
possible workaround is to define the connection string in tnsnames.ora,
and then configure the dbcheck.ini file with ONLY the SID - no hostname
or portnumber. Then it will use the SID to initiate the connection,
which the Oracle client will then map via tnsnames.ora to the correct
connection settings.

Regards