[Xymon] changing new xymon menu to allow for horizontal drop downs

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Aug 12 10:36:08 CEST 2011

On 12-08-2011 10:06, Marco Avvisano wrote:

> someone changed the css to make a horizontal levels?
>
> Il 15/03/2011 18.48, Tom Georgoulias ha scritto:
>> I'd like to add some horizontal drop down menus to the new xymon menu,
>> similar to what is shown here:
>>
>> http://sperling.com/examples/menuh/

People would like all sorts of features in the menu.

The solution really is quite simple. There is nothing in Xymon that
forces you to use the menu-system that comes with Xymon - adding another
type of menu can be done by putting your menu-code (CSS, javascript,
whatever) in an appropriate directory (meaning: you can fetch it via a
URL), and then modifying the *_header files and/or xymonserver.cfg to
add whatever code is needed to display the menu.

The 4.3.x RELEASENOTES describes how you can replace the default Xymon
menu-system with the old Tigra menu; it's even provided as a download
from the Xymon SVN repository at Sourceforge. The included README file
contains the instructions:

1) Copy all of the files in www/menu/ to your ~xymon/server/www/menu/
directory. Note that the "tigramenu_items.js" file contains
URL's that may be different in your Xymon installation, so adapt
this as needed. Any custom menus go into this file.

2) Copy web/tigramenu_footer to your ~xymon/server/web/ directory.

3) Modify these settings in hobbitserver.cfg (if not present, just add
these lines):
XYMONBODYHEADER=""
XYMONBODYFOOTER="file:$BBHOME/web/tigramenu_footer"
XYMONBODYMENUCSS="$BBMENUSKIN/tigramenu.css"

4) Restart Xymon

The XYMONBODY* settings contain HTML that is inserted verbatim into the
Xymon webpages via the web/*_{header,footer} templates. Usually, you
won't have to modify the templates at all - you just change these
settings so they contain the HTML code needed to pull in your custom
menu code.