[Xymon] AIX memory checks

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 2 18:11:48 CEST 2011

On 02-08-2011 16:28, Rob McBroom wrote:

> This is what it currently looks like (still red and reporting invalid numbers). The client is version 4.3.3, by the way. Server is 4.2.2-RC1 if it matters.

Ouch, that is an old server you have there ...

I cannot say that upgrading will fix it, but there has been some changes
along the way to how the memory-parsing code works. It also means that
it will be difficult to provide any kind of patches to test.

> [realmem]
> realmem 16777216 Amount of usable physical memory in Kbytes False
> [freemem]
> 0  0 1051672 5471551   0   0   0   0    0   0  10  577 525  1  3 96  0  0.03   6.7
> [swap]
> Total Paging Space   Percent Used
>       4096MB               1%

Looks sane, and running it through my Linux/Intel test system here gives
the correct result with 4.3.4.

The only possible bug I can see is that something weird happens when
your compiler does the arithmetic because there are long int's and short
int's involved. One thing you could try was to change the
hobbitd/hobbitd_client.c file; in the "unix_memory_report()" function,
remove the "unsigned" keyword from the declaration of the "memphyspct",
"memswappct" and "memactpct" variables, and in the 4 "sprintf" commands
below, change the "%11lu" formatting string to "%lld" (replace 'u' with
'd').

No idea if it helps, but it might. But I would strongly recommend
upgrading your Xymon server to 4.3.4.