[Xymon] sar, iostat and subgraphs

Stefan skjoldar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:47:05 CEST 2011

Hi all..

I'm probably reinventing the wheel, but i've been looking too long and think
i might be missing something.
Running xymon4.3.2 server on linux and the client is hobbit 4.2.0 on HPUX
11.11

I need to get some kind of sar -d or iostat graph going, which I've done
halfway sucessfully.
I don't know whether there already is a scrupt that does this, but the only
mention I find is bb-sar which i battled witha bit
and then decided to write my own one.

I run sar -d for 5 minutes, take the averages, and parse them to the hobbit
server like this:
c31t6d0 : 98
c34t6d0 : 10
c14t2d5 : 0
c14t2d4 : 0
c14t5d1 : 0
c14t0d0 : 77
c14t0d1 : 63
c14t6d7 : 54
c14t7d0 : 25
c14t7d1 : 98
c14t7d2 : 49
c14t1d2 : 40
c14t5d0 : 0

This is just the "percent busy" on the disk.

Currently i'm getting all 13 values in one graph, which is a mess.
http://i.imgur.com/ZedTt.png

All 13 values are in one RRD file.

How do I split them up like the page for disk, where each graph has 4
trends?
Also I see mention of iostat here and there, but only in sun-os and irix

TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,$PINGCOLUMN=tcp,http=tcp,dns=tcp,dig=tcp,time=ntpstat,vmstat,iostat,netstat,temperature,
apache,bind,sendmail,mailq,nmailq=mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,files,procs=processes,ports,clock,lines,
ops,stats,cifs,JVM,JMS,HitCache,Session,JDBCConn,ExecQueue,JTA,TblSpace,RollBack,MemReq,InvObj,snapmirr,snaplist,snapshot,
if_load=devmon,temp=devmon,paging,mdc,mdchitpct,cics,dsa,getvis,maxuser,nparts,xymongen,xymonnet,xymonproxy,xymond,sar=ncv"

GRAPHS="la,disk,inode,qtree,files,processes,memory,users,vmstat,iostat,tcp.http,tcp,ncv,netstat,ifstat,mrtg::1,ports,temperature,ntpstat,
apache,bind,sendmail,mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,clock,lines,ops,stats,cifs,JVM,JMS,HitCache,Session,
JDBCConn,ExecQueue,JTA,TblSpace,RollBack,MemReq,InvObj,snapmirr,snaplist,snapshot,devmon::1,if_load::1,temp,paging,mdc,
mdchitpct,cics,dsa,getvis,maxuser,nparts,xymongen,xymonnet,xymonproxy,xymond,sar::1"

Thanks
Stef