[Xymon] update3: configure fails at RRD link, can't find libz.so

Lynn Osburn losburn at thepinnaclegroup.com
Fri Apr 8 19:20:59 CEST 2011

Thanks for weighing in, Tim.

by putting an echo statement in the build/Makefile.test-rrd we can see what is actually being done during the test that fails during the configure.server step

On my system, that test-link function
  @$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(RRDDEF) $(RRDLIB) -o test-rrd test-rrd.o -lrrd $(PNGLIB)

expands to look like this:
  gcc -g -O -D_REENTRANT -DHPUX -L/usr/local/rrdtool/lib -o test-rrd test-rrd.o -lrrd

If I run that compile manually, this is what I get:

# gcc -g -O -D_REENTRANT -DHPUX -L/usr/local/rrdtool/lib -o test-rrd test-rrd.o -lrrd
ld: Can't find dependent library "libz.so"

I have installed 2 versions of zlib for HPUX.  The first was the version called out in the RRD documentation (zlib-1.2.3) and when that didn't work, I removed it and installed a more current version (zlib-1.2.5).  Changing versions didn't change the error, however.

-Lynn