[Xymon] Xymon, external script question

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu Apr 7 05:17:00 CEST 2011

Taylor,

> Hi all, we manage several hundred hosts, and we’ve noticed when doing
> maintenance that requires shutdown/reboot  that occasionally (seldom)
> on restart one or more of the memory modules in a given host isn’t
> detected.  Sometimes it requires reseating the memory, sometimes just
> a reboot, sometimes the memory is bad.  Thus we have a need to write a
> script that will check the amount of memory each host sees, and send
> an email/alert if its below a given amount.
>

> So I thought why not make use of xymon and the memory test you get for
> free.  A large percentage of our hosts >60% have exactly 6 GB of
> memory, but a large percentage does not.  So I was wondering if there
> is a way to make use of the hobbit-clients.cfg script where I could
> set alert thresholds for a new external script.

The MEMORY thresholds are percentage only rather than absolute amounts.

> The default value for any host would be alert if less than 6.0 GB of
> memory is detected, but I could set custom alerts for given hosts that
> have more or less than this amount.
>

> I don’t believe its possible to use hobbit-client.cfg file in this
> way, but wanted to check with the list and hope I’m wrong.

You could easily do this by checking the incoming client reports using
check-client:

http://xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:check-client

The memCheck in that test was written for incorrectly configured ESX
service consoles by checking the [free] section. Easily enough modified
to check [memory] section's "phys" line.

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.