[xymon] Managing who gets alerts - shifts and rotations

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Oct 9 23:54:27 CEST 2010

Den Sat, 09 Oct 2010 08:25:55 -0400 skrev Elizabeth Schwartz:

> The native xymon alert config is easier to read than Big Brother but it
> doesn't free me up from writing elaborate rules. Right now it takes
> ****25**** rules to cover our shift changes, and that's just for one set
> of alerts.
>
> Look at Monday mornings.  Nadja in Singapore started at 9 pm EST Sunday
> night and she's covering until 5:00 am EST.  Sam in England starts  at
> 4:00 am EST. The US guys start at 8:00 am EST. So I've got a rule from
> 9:00 pm to midnight Sundays, then 12:00-am-4:00 am Monday, another rule
> from 4:00am to 5:00 am Monday, and a third rule from 5:00 am to 8:00 am
> when the US guys start.... it's just endless.  There's another set for
> Tuesday-Thursday and then more for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I can understand that your alert-rules get quite complex, but then it
*is* a rather complex environment you have.

Now, I don't know how your time-based rules are intertwined with which
systems your people manage. But from the very limited description I have,
it sounds like you should structure your alert rules around the people
who is manning each time period. Does that change a lot ?

$SINGAPORE=nadja
$ENGLAND=sam
$US=phil,dan,tom,joe

Something like this is what I'd suggest:

   TIME=0:2100:0500
	MAIL $SINGAPORE

   TIME=0400:1200
	MAIL $ENGLAND

   TIME=0800:1600
	MAIL $US

If you need to distribute alerts further - say, each of the "USguys" have
different groups of servers each - you can add this as an extra condition
on the MAIL alert, like

   TIME=0800:1600
	MAIL joe HOST=server1,server2
	MAIL tom PAGE=california
	MAIL $US UNMATCHED

Then Joe would get alerts for those two servers only, Tom would get
alerts for the California servers (if they're on one page called
"california"), and "usguys" would get all those that didn't go to
Joe or Tom.

The conditions can of course also relate to specific services, not just
hosts.

Does that help ?

I'd be interested to hear suggestions for a better way of configuring your
alerts. It's done the way it is because it seemed flexible enough to
handle my needs, and it was much easier to understand than the BB setup
(I could never quite figure out how the advanced parts of the BB alert
setup worked). But that doesn't mean it is "set in stone" for ever. I am
quite open to suggestions on how it can be improved.