[xymon] smtp/smtps tests against postfix generate errors on server

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Sun Nov 21 04:35:40 CET 2010

On 11/20/2010 7:19 PM, Xymon User in Richmond wrote:
> The test is in netservices.c.  You could try patching in a HELO before the
> MAIL command.  Or check postfix's main.cf for reject_unauth_pipelining
> directive.  Not sure what removing it might result in for everything else.
>   The "feature" of logging this for every occurrence appears to have been
> introduced in 2.6.

I do have that in my configuration.  It's an important part of spam
fighting, and it's something that I am not willing to turn off.  Many
spam clients will just send the entire SMTP conversation at once, for
speed.  That directive keeps those clients from being able to get through.

The real problem is *not* the missing HELO. It's caused by Xymon sending
the QUIT before the server has responded.  I tried a manual session
where I sent MAIL, then after it responded, sent QUIT.  The message was
not logged.

Thanks,
Shawn