smtp/smtps tests against postfix generate errors on server

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Sun Nov 21 02:31:32 CET 2010

I have this message over and over in the log on my personal Debian
mailserver:

improper command pipelining after MAIL from mail.example.org[ip.ad.dr.es]

It started on November 10th, when I installed updates on the machine,
upgrading postfix from 2.5.5-1.1 to 2.7.1-1~bpo50+1.

I grabbed a sniffer trace, where I found that Xymon is sending, in a
single packet, a "mail" command followed by "quit".  The server responds
with the following because this is a violation of the strict RFC:

503 5.5.1 Error: send HELO/EHLO first
221 2.0.0 Bye

My postfix config has two places where it checks for unauthorized
pipelining, one of which was not preceded by permit_mynetworks, so I
fixed that, and it didn't help.

I am running the lenny-backports xymon package, version
4.3.0~beta2.dfsg-5~bpo50+1.

Can the test be re-engineered so that it follows proper SMTP protocol
and waits for a server response between each command?

Thanks,
Shawn