[xymon] Can we verify the DNS response

Xymon User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Nov 4 02:18:29 CET 2010

On Wed, November 3, 2010 20:21, Mike Cavanagh wrote:
> An entry in the bb-host file like:
>

> 192.168.10.10     bambam              # dns=fred
>

> will perform a DNS query against the server bambam for the hostname:
> fred.  The way I understand it is if a response is received, the DNS is
> considered good.
>

> I would like to know if here are any options to verify the result.  In my
> particular case, we want to query against a "Split DNS" server and
> confirm the correct IP is being returned in the A record.  So,
>

> 192.168.10.10     bambam.dom.com                         #
> dns=fred.dom.com
>
> 71.137.200.10     bambam.dom.com                         #
> dns=fred.dom.com
>

> The first entry should return:  192.168.10.15
>
> The second entry should return: 71.137.200.15
>

> If DNS views are broken, the 2nd entry may return:  192.168.10.15   If
> so, I want to get a page so DNS can be fixed.

Don't know how to do what you want the way you want, but you'll need
"testip" on those bb-hosts entries or they're both going to test whatever
the Xymon server returns for bambam.dom.com.

A possible workaround for what you want:  is it possible to insert an A
record into the external zone for a host name that doesn't exist in the
internal zone?  If a test on that failed, you'd know that either the
external DNS server was down or that the internal DNS zone was incorrectly
being used.  You'd probably want a page either way.