[hobbit] SNMP Trapping Question - What is Best Tool for the Job?

wiskbroom at hotmail.com wiskbroom at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:54:10 CEST 2010

> On Monday, 21 June 2010 13:55:53 wiskbroom at hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hello;
>>
>> I've gotten devmon to work on my current Xymon setup; the only drawback in
>> my opinion is lack of device support in devmon.
>
> Templates are created for devices people have access to, who are willing to do
> some work to create a template. I try and add all templates that are
> submitted.
>
> Even if devmon had MIB support, templates would still be required to a degree.
> Feel free to assist in improving devmon.

I will try, but have found the task of creating MIBs a daunting one. Yes, I want to use someone elses MIB's for my devices.

>> I'd like to roll-out
>> something else that would allow me to receive SNMP traps from a device,
>> and send out alerts via Xymon.
>
> I need to implement some trap support. The snmptrapd->snmptt->sec->xymon
> method (at http://cerebro.victoriacollege.edu/hobbit-trap.html) is a bit heavy
> for my current environment.
>
> I have been wondering if a dedicated perl script using NetSNMP::TrapReceiver
> (IOW, running inside snmptrapd) reporting directly to Xymon would be better.
> However, the question is, exactly how should it behave? How should traps be
> mapped to tests (all traps to a single 'trap' test, or to individual tests,
> and how)? Should traps be stored to a database as well (so they can be ACK'ed
> etc.)?

I wish I could help here, and agree that the "snmptrapd->snmptt->sec->xymon" is a bit conplicated, especially with SEC, but probably the most powerful design I've seen yet.  The problem I see here is the ability to create SEC rules for alerting and properly testing them.

>> I'd also like to be able to use
>> WeatherMap, and of course want to make the three of these work together
>> as seamlessly as possible.
>
> While I would like to improve Weathermap (to require less manual work in
> creating map configurations), it works well enough for me
>
> http://staff.telkomsa.net/~bgmilne/xymon/
>
> Have you run into problems with it?

I love the weathermap feature (thank you) and is why I want to keep it. The only issue I have with the present weathermap feature for xymon/devmon is that the weathermap GUI-editor is not implemented.