[hobbit] SNMP Trapping Question - What is Best Tool for the Job?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Jun 21 16:55:49 CEST 2010

On Monday, 21 June 2010 13:55:53 wiskbroom at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I've gotten devmon to work on my current Xymon setup; the only drawback in
>  my opinion is lack of device support in devmon.

Templates are created for devices people have access to, who are willing to do
some work to create a template. I try and add all templates that are
submitted.

Even if devmon had MIB support, templates would still be required to a degree.
Feel free to assist in improving devmon.

>  I'd like to roll-out
>  something else that would allow me to receive SNMP traps from a device,
>  and send out alerts via Xymon.

I need to implement some trap support. The snmptrapd->snmptt->sec->xymon
method (at http://cerebro.victoriacollege.edu/hobbit-trap.html) is a bit heavy
for my current environment.

I have been wondering if a dedicated perl script using NetSNMP::TrapReceiver
(IOW, running inside snmptrapd) reporting directly to Xymon would be better.
However, the question is, exactly how should it behave? How should traps be
mapped to tests (all traps to a single 'trap' test, or to individual tests,
and how)? Should traps be stored to a database as well (so they can be ACK'ed
etc.)?

>  I'd also like to be able to use
>  WeatherMap,  and of course want to make the three of these work together
>  as seamlessly as possible.

While I would like to improve Weathermap (to require less manual work in
creating map configurations), it works well enough for me

http://staff.telkomsa.net/~bgmilne/xymon/

Have you run into problems with it?

Regards,
Buchan