[hobbit] CPAN Modules

david.peters at industry.nsw.gov.au david.peters at industry.nsw.gov.au
Thu Jun 10 01:00:18 CEST 2010

Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote on 09/06/2010 07:10:54 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: [hobbit] CPAN Modules
>
> Buchan Milne
>
> to:
>
> hobbit
>
> 09/06/2010 07:15 PM

> david.peters
>
> Please respond to hobbit
>
> On Wednesday, 9 June 2010 00:24:27 david.peters at industry.nsw.gov.au
wrote:
> > As I use perl mostly for interfacing to hobbit for tests, reports etc
> > have quite a number of perl modules floating around.
> >
> > Given that CPAN is the easiest way to upload, install manage etc, I
have
> > installed the modules there.
>
> Well, it's fine for distribution, installation is debatable (I
> usually use the
> distro package manager, but my distro has > 2000 CPAN modules).
>
> However, where should the VCS for this be? How about a perl subdirectory
on
> xymon svn on SF?

Agreed. Is already in svn just in a different repository. Happy to move
it.

> > I have created a top level Module called Xymon which is simple a place
> > holder.
> >
> > So far I have uploaded Xymon::Client which provides a perl interface
> > sending status updates:
>
> I started on one a few months ago, but no one seemed interested at the
time.
> The next thing I needed for myself was an interface to parsing bb-hosts
to a
> page structure.

We do that here via the database interface. Eg by owner and location and
application.

> I've attached what I had.
>

> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> >
> > use Xymon::Client;
> >
> > my $xymon = Xymon::Client->new(.......);
> >
> > $xymon->send(.....);
> >
> > Documentation for this is included on cpan and when you install the
> > module.
> >
> > The other module I have installed is Xymon::Monitor::Informix which
tests
> > connectivity to remote Informix Databases
> > This updates a test called database for servers that run informix
> > databases and lists the status of each database on the status screen.
>
> How does this compared to dbcheck.pl from http://hobbit-perl-
> cl.sourceforge.net/ ?
>

> > I have quite a few more to add but I was hoping that anyone else that
has
> > perl scripts, May add them there as modules. If help is required
> > I can assist.
>
> Well, I was aiming to port some of mine to my Xymon::Client module.
>

> > Some of the upcoming releases of modules include:
> >         Xymon::Server which provides an interface to the various
server
> > environment variables + some utility functions such as redrawing the
> > screen.
>
> I don't know if it should draw the screen, however if it can parse
various
> config files and provide structures that can be used to compose a view
in a
> templating system, that would be better.

sorry I meant running bbgen using the config parameters out of
hobbitserver.cfg,
which is useful after updating various files or acknowledging events.

> For example, to provide an Ajax view, redrawing the screen itself in
perl is
> useless, but providing the structure in JSON is useful ....
>
> >         Xymon::Server::History which returns a hash of all events for
all
> > or selected servers - I currently use this for generating excel
reports.
> >         Xymon::Server::Clients which provides an interface to the
> > hobbitclient.cfg file and includes a web interface.
> >         Xymon::Server::Alerts which provides an interface
> > hobbit-alerts.cfg
> >
> >         Xymon::Monitor::MSSQL which provides a status test for sql
server
> > databases
> >         Xymon::Monitor::Oracle which provides a status test for oracle
> > servers
> >         Xymon::Monitor::SunContainer which provides a way fo testing
> > Containers running on a Solaris node.
> >
> > There are a few others that I have but that is enough for now.
> >
> > BTW we still use a database to store all information about our servers
and
> > routers and then use this to generate the bbhosts and include files.
This
> > includes
> > a screen under INFO for a host that provides this information within
> > hobbit.
>
> Well, in devmon, I have some work in my local checkout which populates
some
> discover-related information into a database (e.g., cdp neighbours, IPs,

> routes).
>
> > Allows us to do advanced searching based on other parameters,
> > using an advanced search
> > web screen within hobbit.
> >
> > Last time I spoke of the database there seemed to be very little
interest
> > in it so it has stayed where it is and hasn't been used anywhere else.
>
> I think having a database is useful. I think there was resistance to
having
> all the monitoring depend on a database.
>
> For example, if configuration information is to be in a database,
itshould be
> dumped out, so that no matter what happens to the database, monitoring
will
> work.

Sorry, Xymon is not tied to the database in any way other than that the
database
is used to create the bbhosts file when a change is made. And the info
screen for a server
contains a link to a web view of the data. Perhaps some diagrams and
screenshots were
in order.

> > We have applications tied to servers in the database
>
> Well, service dependency information should be captured, in order to
easily
> provide a services view. While this can be hacked in at present with the

> combo-test, a better view is required (amongst other issues).

the bbhosts creation routine generates pages based on things such as
application/service.

> > and use it for a web
> > based outages application. When an outage is logged, not only does it
send
> > an email
> > to subscribed users with details of the servers and the applications,
it
> > also automagically disables that host(s) in hobbit for the period of
the
> > outage.
>
> Well, this should probably be migrated onto the developer list, and
> I think we
> should discuss the goals before finalising requirements/design etc.

Agreed most of the work required from a xymon public perspective is design
and integration,
not coding.

The trick I guess is to get from a working system here to a publicly
available group of add-ons.

> Regards,
> Buchan
> [attachment "Client.pm" deleted by David Peters/DII/NSW] [attachment
> "bb.pl" deleted by David Peters/DII/NSW] [attachment "get.pl"
> deleted by David Peters/DII/NSW] To unsubscribe from the hobbit
> list, send an e-mail to
> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.